Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Idea 10: Paper Dolls

Paper Dolls

–noun
1.
a paper or cardboard, usually two-dimensional, representation of the human figure, used as a child's toy.
2.
Usually, paper dolls. a connected series of doll-like figures cut from folded paper.


Paper Dolls are figures cut out of paper wearing a basic outfit, with clothing options to change into.  Paper dolls began in Asian cultures where origami and artful paper folding was popular.  Centuries ago, Asian cultures were believed to use paper dolls for religious ceremonies.  However all around the world countries had their own different versions of paper dolls, such as in France paper dolls were called pantins and were created to entertain adults.  Today, paper dolls are widely available and are used by young children and adult collectors. 

Paper dolls were also the start to Barbie by mattel, while Ruth Handler watched her child Barbara play with paper dolls, she wondered why the dolls couldn’t be 3d. 


After my mid-way critique I listened back to the feedback I received.  One comment was made in reference that I’m turning myself into an object however that goes in relationship to my concept, that everyone plays a role as a character.  I am interested in pursing the idea of making my work wrk playful and more hands on with  my audience.  Therefore, I want to create outfits for myself (the figure in my work) like paper dolls, that the audience or viewer can change resulting in my work being more playful.  




Works Cited


Wikipedia: Paper dolls. 1 October 2010.  3 November 2010. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_doll 

Dictionary.com 3 November 2010.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paper+dolls 

No comments:

Post a Comment