Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Graduate School Application: SFAI

I choose San Francisco Art Institute as my school to “apply” for grad school, mostly because it is a highly ranked School for photography in the country.  I also choose San Francisco Art Institute Because I love San Francisco in general, I love how the school is right in the city and is surrounded by so much culture.  After traveling most of the west coast I wasn’t so fond of California until I visited San Francisco, which reminds me of the east coast a lot. 


One professor at San Francisco Art Institute that’s work attracted me was Alice Shaw.  Alice Shaw is a conceptual artist and is a visiting Faculty member in the Photography department.  Shaw attended San Francisco Art Institute and received her Bachelors of Fine Art as well as her Masters in Fine Art there.  In Shaw’s work she combines personal documentation with humor.   She has a book out called, “People Who Look Like Me” published in 2006.  Shaw’s book is a collection of photographs of herself with family members or friends who she feels has common traits with her.  I am interested in Shaw’s work because she takes pictures of herself and her family, which I recently have been doing.  

Alice Shaw’s Blog:

http://aliceshawphoto.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=22 


Phil and Me, 2002, from the book People Who Look Like Me, published by Gallery 16, San Francisco

Amos and Alice 2002, From the book People Who Look Like Me, published by Gallery 16, San Francisco

Makeover 1999, From the book People Who Look Like Me, published by Gallery 16, San Francisco



Nancy Tobin


Nancy Tobin is currently a student at San Francisco Art Institute.  Tobin is a Sculpture student and creates these white airy sculpture that remind me of Annette Messager’s sculpture work.  Tobin's work has been on display at the San Francisco Art Institute's gallery space the Diego Rivera Gallery.  Below is a installation piece in the gallery by Nancy Tobin.


Nancy Tobin

Link to student Gallery Work: http://activeweb.sfai.edu/galleries/students.aspx 






No comments:

Post a Comment