Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Artist Lecture- Alexandre Singh


Alexandre Singh

Guest lecture Alexandre Singh is an artist and performer.  I found Singh’s work to be very interesting and compelling.   Singh’s work appears to be derived mostly from novels, stories, myths, and history.  Singh seems to relate much of his work to math and old logic, which I found intriguing.  What I enjoyed most about Singh’s lecture is how he displayed his transition from one idea or theory to the next.  Singh stated that his work is “never finalized” which I found fascinating because one can see how his more could continue on because Singh’s topics, ideas, and theories can continue.  When Singh described his piece, “Assembly Instructions” to us (the audience), and explained how each section of the work displayed a different topic it made me wonder it I could see the same connections that he makes through his work.  Now after hearing Singh explain how his ideas and concepts come about, how his projects are displayed makes more sense to me.

Singh did not seem to answer my questions during his lecture.  However, I found one of the questions he answered after his lecture to be very appealing.  A member of the audience asked about the audience’s role in his work and how he expects them to respond to his artwork.  Singh replied, “If you want people to drink the poison you have to put a lot of sugar on the spoon.”  Singh also stated that he makes his artwork for himself and that it is an added bonus if we understand it however he tries to give us all the information for the audience to understand it on their own.

Overall, I found Singh to be interesting and refreshing for giving a different pace of lecture.


Alexandre Singh, Assembly Instructions (Tangential Magick), detail

No comments:

Post a Comment