Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Visiting Arist 1: Valerie Fletcher



Obviously, you have a major interest in modern art and have an upcoming lecture on surrealism at the Pompidou Museum in Paris but if you can select one focus in the art world what would it be?



As Senior Curator of the world-renowned Hirshorn Museum and Sculpture Garden what do you consider to be your biggest challenge?




Artist lecture response

Select coordinate Art-show

Guest lecture Senior Curator of the Hirshorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Valerie Fletcher gave a very unique insight for how difficult it is to coordinate an exhibit.  I was impressed by her lecture in which she incorporated interesting facts and revelations about a variety of works of art so much so that I didn’t even notice that an hour had gone by the time she finished. What I liked about Fletcher’s lecture was that she showed us how she chose and organized the exhibit based on what each piece of artwork revealed or the meaning behind each piece.   I have never been drawn to surrealist artwork but after hearing Valerie Fletcher analyze some of the artwork I see it’s artistic value and appreciate it more.  Fletcher noted during her lecture that she wants the exhibit, Surrealist Sculpture to attract new crowds who wouldn’t normally come into an art museum.   

During Fletcher’s lecture I was satisfied that she answered one of my posted questions. Fletcher mentioned that one of her biggest challenges especially for this particular exhibit is that working with other curators who differ in placement of particular artwork for an exhibit.  Before Fletcher’s lecture I never gave much thought about how much analyzing goes into arranging the order of an art exhibit.  I appreciate museum exhibits even more now.

Overall, I found Fletcher’s lecture to be very intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment