Sunday, September 5, 2010

Artist Entry 1: Peter Callesen

Artist Biography
Peter Callesen was born in Demark in 1967; he graduated from Goldsmiths College in London in 2000.  Callesen has been in numerous exhibitions both solo and in-group exhibitions.  The majority of Callesen’s exhibitions have been in Europe however Callesen had his first solo exhibition in the United States in 2008, at the Peter Rubenstein Gallery in New York.  Callesen takes a two-dimensional object particularly a white piece of paper and turns it into a three-dimensional object.  Callesen’s primary materials consist of snow, ice, paper, and watercolor.  

In alternative processes I really enjoyed the Henry Darger inspired project that I executed using a collage and cutouts.  Thus, I am toying with the idea of incorporating a storybook theme in my senior portfolio.



When I searched for an artist to write about for this weeks blog I was looking for an artist that had similar creative thoughts and I found Peter Callesen’s website.  On Peter Callesen’s website he talks about what interests and inspires his work.   Callesen stated that, “Recently I have worked with the notion of complexity in the piece ‘White Diary’. It presents a human head with a sketchbook in the centre. Out from the pages of the book grows a complex thought-process as an imaginative landscape filled with details and fairytale stories.”  I find his whole storybook aspect of his work to be very appealing.  When looking at his pieces they are very witty and extremely detailed.  What excites me about Callesen’s work that each piece I can make up a story to go with it and I admire each cutout relates to the other cutouts in the image. 
Furthermore, Peter Callesen stated, “Another returning theme in my work is the reinterpretation of classical fairytales associated with a more general interest in memory in connection to childhood.”  This quote grabbed my attention because I am playing with ideas of storybooks relating to everyday stories and how everyone can fit into a specific character.  

Callesen's images


Half Way Through (detail), 2006

Snowballs, 2005


Snowballs (detail), 2005

Impenetrable castle, 2005
Alive, but Dead, 2006

Artists website:  http://www.petercallesen.com/

Callesen Currently does not have any work in a gallery.  His last solo exhibit was Out of Nothing     at the Hauger Vestfold Art Museum, Tonsberg, Norway  
Link to Hauger Vestfold Art Muesum : http://www.haugar.com/  

Link to a review of Callesen's Artwork:  http://dailyserving.com/2009/01/peter-callesen/


Works Cited

Callesen, Peter. “About.” Peter Callesen.  4 September 2010. 

Curcio, Seth. "Peter Callesen." Dailyserving.  4 January 2009.  5 September 2010. 
<http://dailyserving.com/2009/01/peter-callesen/>. 

No comments:

Post a Comment