Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Idea 8: Dolls


Dolls

The definition of doll is:
–noun
1. a small figure representing a baby or other human being, esp. for use as a child's toy.
2. Slang. a. a pretty but expressionless or unintelligent woman.
b. a girl or woman, esp. one who is considered attractive.
c. a boy or man who is considered attractive.
d. (sometimes initial capital letter ) an affectionate or familiar term of address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., esp. by a male to a female).
3. Informal. a generous or helpful person: You're a doll for lending me your car.

Dolls represent human beings.  Archaeological digs have found remnants of dolls showing that dolls have existed since the beginning of mankind. Most recently in my work, I have become interested in making the figures (me) in my photographs give the impression of being a doll. Because I am working in a small scale setting (doll house) I figured it would be most interesting if I became visible as a doll with in the doll house.  I am attracted to dolls because of their stillness and how peaceful they appear. Most dolls are designed as toys.  Children play with dolls stimulating their imagination and role playing allowing them the freedom to create their own unique stories. Dolls began as toys but were often also used in religious ceremonies, as well as in folk art cultures.  Today many dolls can be acknowledged as art.


Works Cited

Dictionary.com 20 October 2010. <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/doll>.

Wikipedia. Doll. 20 October 2010.  18 October 2010. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doll>. 

No comments:

Post a Comment